Monday, July 18, 2011

Got Breakfast Ideas?

For most of my adult life, I have not been a fan of dairy products. When my broken finger took longer to heal than expected, it became clear just how important calcium was to my bones.  So, I decided to finally find a source of calcium that I could start eating on a regular basis.  After trying several types of yogurt with little success. I found that I actually liked Activia lowfat yogurt. This has helped me meet some of my daily calcium requirements and was a welcome change to my breakfast choices.

My search for a healthy yogurt selection took time, money and persistence.  I'm curious, what do you eat for breakfast to get you jumpstarted for the day? I'd like ideas for low calorie and low carb breakfast ideas that are cheap and quick.  If you know of a link that has great ideas, you can comment or send your ideas to my email linked to the blog -- energizingcharlotte@yahoo.com

I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas.

Nancy Johnson

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My quick, easy, filling and tastey breakfast of choice is oatmeal. The big box of oats that has to boil for 5 minutes. I like to add a splash of milk, chopped walnuts, the fresh fruit I'm craving at the moment and a touch of brown sugar. It's quick and easy and powers me through my morning.

Anonymous said...

I hate oatmeal, cereal, yogurt or anything related to that category for breakfast!

I eat an egg sandwich just about everyday- english muffin (120 calories), morningstar soysage (80 calories) and a half cup of egg beaters (50 calories), add in some fruit, maybe some spinach or tomato and you have a really filling and satisfying breakfast for under 300 calories that lasts all morning. Pop the muffin in the toaster, microwave the sausage and scramble the eggs and it takes less than 5 minutes to make.

Anonymous said...

One breakfast I enjoy is overnight oats. I mix about 1/3 cup of raw oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and let it sit in the fridge overnight. In the morning, you can stir in fresh berries, banana, peanut butter, some nuts or granola for crunch. This will give you your calcium, plus protein and fiber!

Anonymous said...

All you oatmeal fans, she was looking for low-carb : )

I always go with an omelet, it's easy to make and filling, along with some wild berries on the side. You will find yourself with constant energy throughout the day. Stay away from the high, processed sugars in nearly every breakfast available in a super market. Read below:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-breakfast-suggestions-people-on-the-go/

Anonymous said...

2 cups of egg whites.
2 tbsp mild salsa.
pinch of garlic powder.
tofu sausage. dont laugh. it is pretty good.
pack of 2% sliced cheese.
english muffins.
lean ham steak.

whisk and put into 2 quart lubricated dish. chop ham steak and add to dish. cook until done.
cool it and cut into squares.

cook tofu sausage as directed on package.

assemble and heat in the am. huge breakfast sandwich that is filling and low cal.

Anonymous said...

1.5 cups of cereal or oatmeal, 1 cup water or low sugar juice and coffee.

I don't understand the low carb obsession these days.

Nancy J said...

These are ALL great ideas, even the oatmeal. I'll try a few and let you know how it goes.

Thank you again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I've gotten into smoothies in the past few months. A lot of fun trying different recipes and my daughter and I rate them. Also an easy breakfast to drink on the way to work. One of our favorites is orange, strawberries, and apple. And then throw in a handful of spinach to get a veggie in and you can't even taste it because of the sweetness of the fruit. Lately have started throwing in wheat germ for the whole grain beneffits which sounds awful, but doesn't throw off the flavor either.