Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Who Knew?

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and on Monday I asked for breakfast suggestions and you really came through. Who knew how much knowledge is out there just for the asking!  Thank you for all of the suggestions, websites, and words of encouragement. I will try some of your suggestions. I will let you know how they worked in a later post.

Now on to my next hurdle -- exercise. It's funny that Dan and I have approached our weight loss journey from different ends of the spectrum. I went the food route and Dan embraced exercise, but our weight loss is almost identical. This shows that there is much more to health than the number on the scale. Exercise is to the body as flossing is to oral hygiene. Both can be painful and can cause soreness, but both are necessary for long term health. My immediate plan this week, back to my walking tapes (it is just too hot outside) and stair climbing.

This quick exercise jumpstart will suffice for a week or so, but I know I'll soon get bored and will need to kick it up a notch. Many of you have established exercise routines. What type of routine did you start your exercise program with?

Nancy Johnson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

About 5 years ago I had put on roughly 40 more pounds than was acceptable. After quickly modifying my diet to eliminate all the usual suspects I immediately began going to boot camp classes at the Y near me. These classes can be incredibly challenging but they work. I was sore for a month to the point of horror. But, I lost the weight and it has never come back. I still refer to my year in boot camp classes as my Fat Camp year. It is my opinion that losing weight requires diet and exercise. One without the other is pointless.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I Jazzercise and it has kept me going for the past 7 years. The music is what keeps me coming back. There is nothing 80's about it! In class we dance to all the latest hits...Lady Gaga, Adele, and Jennifer Lopez just to name a few. You don't have to know how to dance, you just have to like to dance. Nancy, give it a try and hopefully you won't look back! Good luck with your weight loss journey :-)

Nancy J said...

I'm intrigued about your jazzercise class. Can you post the name or email it to me at energizingcharlotte@yahoo.com?

Thanks

MP said...

Some years ago when I was almost 40, I decided to get control over exercise and to START exercising regularly. I went to the Y where I was a member at the time (for my kids), got one of the gym employees to walk me around and show me how to use the machines properly. That took a lot of the intimidation out of the experience. Also showed me how to do free weights. If you learn what to do before you start, then it can be very enjoyable. Plus I can watch HGTV while I do the elliptical which makes the go by very quickly!

And I totally agree with the first anonymous that if you have issues with weight, for long term weight loss and weight maintenance, eating well and exercise are both critical.

Good luck!!