Thursday, August 18, 2011

Another Big Event


My year of weight loss as you may recall, had/has a number of big events. Some of these events not anticipated. I was laid off from my job for the first time in my life earlier this year. My daughter got married. My wife and I celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary. I broke a toe doing a work project at our mountain cottage. I will turn 60 this fall.
Today, I'm attending an orientation for my upcoming search for a new late life career change. I will start a ten week course at Carolina College of Health Sciences to hopefully move into the Phlebotomy field of endeavor.
This will get me back into a schedule or routine that I will work my exercise routines around. It will also give me a bit more walking. My parking deck for the school is on the opposite side of the "campus" or facilities and is approx a 15 to 20 minute walk each way each day. Not much. But every little bit helps.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you doing in your weight loss? Have you made any more progress towards your goal?

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm gonna call you and the other blogger out. What are you doing about weight loss? For three months now it has been an endless litany of excuses and big talk, but no action. The other blogger doesn't even seem to care anymore, chosing to make paid endorsements for products and talking about blueberries and cell phone instead.

If you haven't lost weight, it is time to put up or shut up. Get with the program right now.

Anonymous said...

Both the bloggers have noted in the past couple weeks precisely how much weight they have lost. Dan says 24 pounds. Nancy says 20 pounds. That's pretty impressive, I think. And mentioning Weight Watchers or a class at a local gym isn't a paid endorsement, unless you know for a fact that she got paid. Why be mean and "call people out" when you don't even take the time to read what they're writing? Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh - they have both admitted they have't lost any weight in month. Sheess - why don't you read? Dan said, AND I QUOTE, "Initially the shift to more and more exercise helped me lose 24 pounds. I've been pretty much stuck at that weight."

The paid by the production mention blogger stated, AND I QUOTE, "To date, I have lost 20 pounds and I have not regained any of the weight I have lost thus far. Now, its time to get out of bed get off of the snooze button and get back on track."

Sheesh, sheesh, sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Good luck in your new coursework, Dan! That's great! And good job to both you and Nancy on your weight loss. I wish the commenters on here could be more positive. You two do a great job presenting your journeys in an honest way and you don't deserve to be "called out" by people who can't see that losing twenty pounds or more is a good thing, and that plateaus (and bumps on the road of life) happen to everyone. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

More comments by people who know nothing about weight loss. 20 pounds is great, unless you need to lose 80 pounds and haven't lost weight in months. It's not a plateau after months of stagnation, it's a problem that needs to be remedied. Weight loss is slow and steady. The first 10-20 is easy. After that is where the rubber meets the road.