Monday, September 19, 2011

Adding Color to the Brown Bagged Lunch

How many of you are "brown bagging" your lunch? Anyone on a diet or saving money knows that packing lunch saves calories and money. So why don't more people brown bag their lunch? Time, planning, and boredom?  I know someone who eats a peanut butter and jelly sandwich everyday. Peanut butter and jelly is my favorite comfort food, but I'm not sure I could eat it for lunch everyday. If you're like me, you probably won't think about lunch until the clock ticks at noon or your stomach starts to growl.

What we eat has a huge impact on how successful we are at losing weight. This week I will take 15 minutes every night to pack my lunch to improve my weight loss success while also saving money in the process. I will need this money to replace some of those bagging black pants I've been wearing and pulling up.  Please take a minute and share your lunch ideas with me.  A lot of you have been successful in your journey.  Please share your knowledge.


Nancy Johnson

5 comments:

Matt W said...

I enjoy a PB&J for lunch on any day there isn't dinner leftovers. I keep bread, jelly an peanut butter at work just this purpose.

With taking your lunch you may also find some extra time on your break for a short walk outside. Enjoy the fall weather.

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I often bring a chef salad (little cheese, lots of turkey) with my favorite dressing (Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Parmesean). Its a low fat dressing, but is not listed as such on the label. Only one point per 2 tbls.

Other days, I bring a Lean Cuisine. I have all the points values saved in my PP planner. Most LC are lower in points than Smart Ones, and I like them better. Some have only 4 points (Herb Roasted Chicken). Add a tossed salad, and a filling lunch. Maybe even a piece of fruit for dessert.

I've hit a plateau for a couple of weeks, but can't give up. 45 lbs down, 40 to go. Good luck. I enjoy reading your blog.

Anonymous said...

I've been packing lunches for years and once you're in the swing of it, it's just second nature.

I have a little canteen for milk. I'll cut up a bunch of carrot and celery sticks on the weekend and take a handful each day. Or those little grape tomatoes. Lots of fruit -- grapes are easy, as are apples and bananas. We eat leftovers when we have them, or I'll make a big grain/bean salad on Sunday and we take bowls of that for a few days. And sandwiches are a great fallback -- tuna, egg salad, and peanut butter.

I try not to buy processed foods -- it saves money and I think the less processed the food, the better it is for us. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Every Sunday, I buy vegetables like zucchini, sqaush, bell peppers, and broccoli for my lunches. I cut them up that night and put them into bags. That way, I can just throw a bag of vegetables into my lunch bag every night. It saves me time and I'm more likely to eat the vegetables. I normally bring hummus to dip them in.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I bring TV dinners most days. I found a new brand a couple months ago, Healthy Choice, which offers more variety than the standard Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones fair...though they've both expanded their options as well. In the summer, I bring salad makings. I prepare the lettuce the night before. I toss cut up cucumbers and tomatoes in dressing and pour over the salad when it's lunch time (along with whatever protein I've brought that day).

Another quick fix are chicken sandwiches. I've found frozen mesquite chicken breasts at Sam's which are great on a bagel thin or bread.