Friday, September 16, 2011

Got Willpower?


We've previously asked ourselves what willpower is. We are not looking for the behavior exemplified by people who "have" willpower, but seeking the inner essence for that spark of spirit that "is" the root of willpower.
In talking to people during the past week and pondering such things on my walks, I think back to times I've personally achieved goals that took what would be considered willpower. I've thought about friends who have achieved goals similarly.
The common theme seems to be a desire to change something. A desire that becomes a burning purpose in the forefront of our thoughts many times per day and per week that dosn't fade away easily.
A person who posted on this blog last week mentioned a constant mental focus to never "go back" to being fat again.
I think it can be various things that stimulate the beginnings of willpower. It can be "fear", such as after a big health scare like a heart attack survivor. It can be a desire to be a member or part of something we crave. By this I mean things like being a better or significant participant in a sport that takes training etc.
It can be love. By this I mean a burning desire to attract that special person whom we percieve will love us not for our current selves but for some imagined "improved" or differant "self".
Personally, I've had cases in my adult life where being a long distance runner was a very important part of my life. It defined who I was for a great deal of my twenties and thirties and a tad of my 40's. I desire to "look" like the ballroom dancer I was working to be. Sure you can dance if you are heavy, but not to the same competitive degree a totally fit dancer type body can.
So what is it that burns in your soul right now to help you succeed? I've been struggling with that all year. I've had some success losing weight this year. However, there is no doubt in my mind that I've missed out on probably doubling of my weight loss so far just due to not having the level of willpower, or desire or self image in my mind that I've needed. I'm working on it and will share more next Friday. For now, tell us what you find personally inside you that sparks your success.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You asked what sparks success. For me, success sparks success.

When I was bigger than I needed to be it was completely demotivating. When you are fat you sit on the sidelines, literally. You don't sleep well, you don't eat well, you have no energy. Little things take way more effort than they should. When I decided that watching life was wasting life I got in shape and started doing small things. Small things turned into bigger things. Bigger things turned into faster things. It becomes addictive to see how far you can push yourself when you previously did nothing but waste away being fat.

Being fit opens up a to of social opportunities. You get calls on the spur of the moment to do things you could not do as an obese person. Success builds on itself.