Thursday, September 1, 2011

Are You Morbidly Obese?


The term "morbidly obese" has been tossed around this blog for months now. For the most part its been used as almost a verbal weapon by some. So the question is.....am I......are you....morbidly obese? If I'm not and you are does that make me superior to you? Heck no. I'm still fat. I'm just lucky to be otherwise healthy......so far. I don't even get a cold but perhaps once every 3 years or so. My BP and heart rate are good. My blood sugar is great. My back and legs are strong and sturdy. I'm strong in general for an old geezer and have ever improving endurance. If you are, by chance, morbidly obese you by definition do have some extra health challenges facing you that are way more serious than my wimpy exercise and diet journey and I am pulling for you to find a way to get healthy. Of course proper medical care and consultation with your doctor is a must. But back to the question of "if" we/you are morbidly obese. Here's the criteria:
1. Are you more than 100 lbs over your ideal body weight, or
2. have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 40, or
3. have a BMI of over 35 and are experiencing severe negative health effects, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, related to being severely overweight?
4. unable to achieve a healthy body weight for a sustained period of time, even through medically supervised dieting?
These are serious questions and not something to reticule a person about. I hope that anyone facing these very tough issues pull through and succeed to live your life to its fullest. Weight doesn't make a person good or bad. It can impact your life however and the quality of that life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really bothers me when people use the term "diabetes" generically. What you are referring to is Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 is an auto immune disorder, most commonly occurring in children. Their bodies attack the beta cells in their pancreas and they no longer produce insulin. This is vastly different from the mostly diet and lifestyle induced Type 2 diabetes.

I have to say I also disagree with you that being fat doesn't say something about a person. I believe it says a lot.

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder if the Observer was prepared for their three chosen bloggers to quit trying to lose weight by April and turn their blogs into weird observations by people who aren't willing to put in the work to lose weight.

At least you aren't preventing comments and removing comments like the other blogger.

People keep talking about your "journey." To be on a journey you actually have to experience forward momentum.

Dan said...

You won't find me censoring others comments on this blog. Too much fun seeing everyone's reactions. Even if I don't agree with them its what I think a blog is about...opinions and commentary. I think there are certainly comments at times that show pure prejudice against fat folk. No need for me to list the successful people in our society who are also fat or even obese. There is no disagreement from me that there is "something" about each person that has led them to a lifestyle that resulted in being overweight. It is easier for some people to be thin than for others but we mostly all control our destiny for health and fitness and weight. We also control to some degree whether we speed in our cars, drink too much, cheat on our spouse or sluff off at work instead of putting in a good days work for our pay. We are all human and have various faults and weaknesses.
A journey isn't always non stop. Failures and set backs don't make a person a "failure". Most things worth working toward have failures along the way. To be a failure, in my opinion, is only when you ultimately give up and never get back up and continue on. I will not give up. I'm exercising more each day and keep fighting with my weak eating willpower. I look forward to seeing my weight start back downward again. In my own mind I will get there again. And once I do, the exercise will help me keep the weight off and feel better. So fat buddies, don't let anybodies negative words stop you if you have some start and stops along the way to better health, just don't give up and get back to it and keep trying until you find what works for you. Join that gym, see that doctor, join Weight Watchers or an overeaters group (I will even try that later on if I don't get my butt into gear on the eating part).

Anonymous said...

Dan - good post. But, it is full of hopes and wishes, not any sort of plan. After so many months of no progress don't you think it is time to change something about what you are doing?

We've all known people who have lost weight. When you ask them how or what they are doing they will tell you specifics, down to the meal. They are serious and focused and don't use euphemisms or excuses. I think this is where you have lost your way. Your story sounds good but is becoming increasingly fiction. Time to buckle down and get going again.

Anonymous said...

To the first anonymous, your statement:"I have to say I also disagree with you that being fat doesn't say something about a person. I believe it says a lot."
This comment implies intolerance and is extremely rude. I am not a "fat" person either and was appalled at your choice of words. A person's worth is not determined by their weight, nor is their success. I really hope I read your statement wrong.
I wish these two bloggers the best of luck on their journey to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle. I hope we can read next week your weight loss successes!

Anonymous said...

Give me a break with your PC nonsense. Being fat isn't like a race. It's about lack of self control and poor choices. Therefore, it does say something about a person.

Anonymous said...

Intolerance and judgement also says a lot about a person.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous - it does say a lot about self control and poor choices. This isn't to dismiss a person as having no value. I have wonderful family and friends who are large, and I see the same poor impulse control in other areas of life, not just choices of activity and food.