Friday, September 30, 2011

Gotta Run


In recent weeks I've been writing about willpower and what that means to a person. Not the actions that exemplify willpower but the inner spark, if you will, that helps a person develop and maintain willpower. I've also mentioned the mystery of why "all" people seem to have some willpower in certain areas of their life and not in others.
I've not had the willpower I need relating to my love of eating good food. I like all kinds of food. I have lacked the willpower to control my portions/calories. I love exercise. I loath counting calories.
A good portion of my adult life I've been a long distance runner. During the times I was immersed in that sport I didn't have to worry much about calories. As I turn 60 this weekend, I realize those days are gone and any future running, if I wish to enjoy running as a sport again, will need to not just be training by running, but also training by what food I consume. I will be slow. I will have aches and pains beyond those of my youth. My feet and toes complain already from injuries from my skinny days of running abuse. I have to lose a lot of weight still to even begin meaningful training for age group competition. I have to realize I may not ever be competitive again in age group. I'm so far away from being a "runner" that I find it a worthwhile goal to just want to be able to run for fun of participation again. I'd rather be the old guy in the back quarter of an event than the old fat guy on the sidelines. I'll enter a low key 5k asap just to get a base line of a time and feel to then start working to improve upon. I have to be cautious in the escalation of the amount of my miles I shift from walking to jogging to not get injured. I need to help my poor old body out by dropping significant pounds asap. Its not just the pounding on the feet and knees etc. Its also less useless tissue to supply oxygen to. I have many many years of experience in running. Yet, this could be a fun adventure as I attempt to become an older runner.
Never give up. Keep looking for that spark that might ignite your passion to become fitter and healthier.
When you fail, get back up and try again. Don't let anyone tell you that you are worthless. Be willing to try something different if what you are doing doesn't work. Major wars are seldom won without some battlefield losses along the way.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a marathon and ran a bit with an 85 year old woman who took up running in her late 70's. You can and should do a 5K and get back to it.

Anonymous said...

A "runner" is anyone who runs . . . any distance, any speed. Don't allow the difference between these now and before discourage your efforts today.

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." ~Henry Ford

Welcome back!

SolRunner

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you and will always be cheering for you as you keep on with your weight loss:)

Anonymous said...

ASAP is tomorrow. You can enter a 5K this weekend, or next weekend. Get on it.

BB said...

You really should try myfitnesspal.com for the calorie counting portion of your diet. I've failed so many times, but this app really makes it so easy. I've lost 21 pounds since May. Since you are already so into exercise, this would be just the extra help you need to get back on track food-wise. It's free - someone else had mentioned it on either Nancy or Melissa's blog earlier this year, and I'm so glad I saw it, it's really made all the difference for me.

Anonymous said...

Great article, for the runners that read this...we all know how your feet need a good break after your run (especially a long distance), so I found these toe-relaxers that really help relax your toes and foot in general: http://www.alloit.com/search?search=yogatoes&x=0&y=0

just thought i'd mention it, since we're on the subject.