Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fat and Flawed?






I've noted during the duration of this Charlotte's Biggest Losers blogging that some readers are of the opinion that being overweight somehow makes a person "flawed". The suggestion is that we fat folks are just emotional wrecks. That being overweight pretty much proves we are weak emotionally.


Ok then. Oprah and Mike Huckabee are weak emotional undisciplined hulks I suppose. Sure, one is tremendously successful in entertainment and business. Huckabee was Governor of Arkansas and is a serious contender for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2012. They both have a long term weight struggle. Therefore, following some readers logic, they must have just lucked into all their success.


Its my opinion we are all flawed. Yes, even you fit marathoners and weight room fanatics have your hang ups too.


Lets just fight the fight and battle our demons and try to be the best we can be. Lose weight if needed and exercise for your own benefit and for that of your loved ones who should want the best for you.


It has been one year now since my beloved mother passed away at the age of 91. She was never a fat person. Until she broke a hip in her late 70's she walked briskly for four or five miles most days. Her slight weight and walking fitness did not define her though. It was her spirit and love for others fat or slim that made her so loved in her world and community.


So lets get on with our exercise and life and do the best we can each day. An old quote I heard once went something like "people who claim to have no vices tend to have really annoying virtues". Did I hear a big "ouch" out there?




5 comments:

Amy said...

Agreed. We all have our flaws and our vices, some are just hidden into traits that other's cannot see when walking by in a passing judgement. It's so easy to call someone out on a flaw, especially when blogging about it for the public to read, but what good is that doing? We should be honest & supportive and there is a way to do both without personal blows to someone's failures. I'm proud of you daddy, and I know Nana is too:)

Nancy J said...

Amen and very well said.

Life is too short to be bitter, mean or disrespectful. We should try to encourage and not be a deterrent for anyone trying to reach a goal.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure the people who are making "observations" are claiming to have no vices. The old adage, "takes one to know one" comes to mind. Many who have gone through a transformation may very well be able to say that they had problems, issues they had to work out. But we live in the United States of the offended and people are very touchy about others saying something that can be construed as negative. Take it easy Dan, you're doing OK.

Anonymous said...

@ Nancy J - life is too short to be fat also, and, it's even shorter if you are fat.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your "weight loss". I know it is cliche to say change your "lifestyle", but it really does make sense for anyone who wants to look better. Being concerned with "losing weight" is the wrong approach in my opinion. Be more concerned with doing eating/doing things that promote your health...not erase it! A healthy lifestyle means making good decisions...what do I eat? Is it going to be nutritious? Am I challenging myself with exercise (or just doing a simple run or eliptical machine)? If I was challenged by my weight, I would do exactly what I do right now....low fat, non-processed, organic diet and crossfit training (or other intense physical activity). Good luck with your challenges!