Thursday, May 5, 2011

I need your music suggestions!

My cellphone finally gave up and on Tuesday I made my 5th trip to Verizon to find a replacement. It took this many trips, because I rate purchasing cell phones right up there with buying a car and a computer. It didn't help that I had a very old phone. My phone was so antiquated that when my daughter announced the kind of phone I was replacing to the salesman, he laughed and then called over another salesmen, who walked away shaking his head and muttering, "A Razor. I can't believe she still has a Razor phone." For those of you who are like me, "technology challenged", my phone was apparently one step above morse code or using smoke signals.

But I persevered through the ridiculing about my technology struggles and finally decided to get a smartphone. Why? Two reasons. I need an electronic way to track my points and eating. Although I have lost 20 pounds, I want to expedite the next 20 pounds by walking around time with some upbeat music.

Here is where I need your help. I need suggestions on some motivating music to walk around Charlotte. I listen to all types of music, but I want some fast paced music that will really get me moving! What music gets you moving? Also, what kinds of weight lose apps have you found useful on your SmartPhone?

Inquiring minds want to and need to know. Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, stepmothers, single dads, and anyone providing love and support to someone without a mother. Enjoy your weekend and get moving!


Nancy Johnson

15 comments:

marcusclarkus said...

Check out the Lance Armstrong inspired Live Strong app and it's food and activity tracker called mydailyplate.com. Both are available on Apple or Android. Both are also web-based, see livestrong.com.

Music can be a personal thing, in terms of what will get you moving. I have a lot up upbeat 70s and 80s stuff mixed in with some new favorites. Do a search on workout songs or mix and you will find a lot of lists. Shape Magazine on-line also has a lot of lists available.

Be strong and stick with it.

Anonymous said...

Single dads? Is this what political correctness has brought us to?

Concur on the livestrong app, very good.

Sea Veg said...

Great stuff!!!.

Nancy J said...

Thank you for the dailyplate suggestion. I am also a fan of 70s and 80s music.

Single dads, yes. I am a single parent and know a few fathers serving in both roles. I am a nontraditionalist who doesn't believe in the labels society tends to stick on us. If a father is serving as the mother for a child, I believe they should get kudos. Similiarly, I also celebrate single-mothers on Fathers Day for the same reason.

The person doing the work should be acknowledged and it gives the child something to celebrate as well.

Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous, beyond ridiculous. Single fathers are not mothers. What has this world come to? I was raised by a single mom and if we celebrated single mom's day on father's day or whatever you think is going on she would have butchered us. Why would any man want to be called a woman, or vice versa?

BB said...

Nancy, don't feel bad, my husband and I both still have Razor phones! We use them for emergencies only, so no reason to upgrade if they are still working fine. Good luck with your new phone, I'm sure it will make it easier to track your points. Also - congrats on your 20 lb loss!

Anonymous said...

I suggest Brian Eno's Music for Airports.

It was intended to keep people waiting in airports relaxed, but could be worked into an exercise routine.

Shanna said...

80s/early 90s music does it for me! They all have a great beat which encourages a fast pace. Raspberry Beret, Locomtion etc. It's awesome.

Anonymous said...

sharon jones and the dap kings for the music

Nancy J said...

Anon 9:13am

Whatever flloats your boat. If my acknowledgement causes you heartburn, please ignore since it obviously does not apply to you! There is so much more to be concerned about. Please take time to enjoy life and not get so worked up about issues such as these.

I love the music ideas. Keep them coming.

Just Jackie said...

Don't laugh, but Britney Spears. Her upbeat stuff gets you moving and feeling a little sassy!

MFS said...

WW has a points calculator. You have to be an online member to use it. If you are it is very helpful and fun.

Here are some great workout songs:

Gonna Make You Sweat/Everybody Dance Now (C+C Music Factory)

Pump it Up (The Black-Eyed Peas)

Let the River Run (Carly Simon)

Love Me Do (Beatles)

Accidentally in Love (Counting Crows)

Heartless (Kayne West)

Dynamite (Taio Cruz)

DJ Got Us Fallin In Love (Usher)

Eye of the Tiger (From Rocky)

Firework (Katy Perry)

California Gurls (Katy Perry)

Love Story (Andy Williams)

Aquarius/Let the Sunshine (The Fifth Dimension)

Swingtown (Steve Miller Band)

Jungle Love (Steve Miller Band)

Say a Little Prayer for You (Aretha Franklin)

Livin' the Vidal Loca (Ricky Martin)

Persuasion (Santana)

Push It (Salt-N-Pepa)

Kodachrome (Paul Simon)

Footloose (From the Footloose Soundtrack)

Pump it Up (Elvis Costello)

Double Dutch Bus (Raven Symone)

MFS said...

Follow-up to the playlist above: Download "clean" versions. A couple of these songs have explicit versions - not what I want to hear when I am working out.

Also, some of these songs are low RPM or BPM...low reps or beats per minute. They are for warm ups, cool downs or when, for example, you are on a treadmill or spin bike or elliptical and have it on a really hard to do setting that requires you pedal, run or push slowly.

Enjoy!

Nancy J said...

These are great selections; some I haven't heard in a while.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

iTunes has a large selection of playlists by genre, activity, artist, etc for workouts.