Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Me and my yo-yo (weight)




You've heard folks say they are big boned. As I kid I was called "husky" sometimes. My history of weight all my life was up and down. I was skinny until about age 9. Then I was very obese until about age 12. Then I was very slender again through all of my teens. 5 foot 10 inches and a 28 inch waist for example. Then I hit 208 pounds around the time of our second child's birth.


Started running again and stayed around 160 for four or five years and gradually gained up to 230 or so as the running tapered off. The exercise kicked back in and I lost back down to 170 pounds in 9 months while ballroom dancing and other exercise. As you know, over the last 3 plus years I then gained up to around 250 during a time of massive life style changes including job changes, elder care duties in our house and moving to a new state. Apparently, my body is very adaptive at changing depending upon my amount of exercise and stress.


Later this week I'll tell you about a old marathon running buddy of mine from Florida who is one of those bums who actually has to "try" to keep weight on his body. He might be an alien from another world. His name is Dennis. In our running competitions he was Dennis the Menace to me. Anyway, I think in addition to a very fast burning metabolism he had a system that might be a good guide for all of us to follow. Stay tuned.

0 comments: