Friday, May 20, 2011

Low Down Skinny Varmit


Earlier this week I mentioned an old marathon buddy of mine from Fla, Dennis is his name and being fit all his life was his game. I met Dennis with a group of long distance runners who'd train together once per week for company and encouragement of our 12 to 20 mile long runs. Dennis joined our group as a non runner and was an extremely lean and muscular guy of around 34 years of age at that time. I learned that he had for years worked out 3 times per week at his gym.
He used to drink special drinks with high calories to try to keep weight on his body. Adding running to an already very lean body apparently was a chore to him. Da Bum!
Now he is around 65 years of age and didn't run for a good number of years. He did, however, maintain his 3 days per week forever gym workouts and stayed very fit all these years. He's recently gotten back into running and did another half Marathon in the past year just for fun.
Once again he is whining about losing weight.
He may be blessed with superior genetics to be lean all his adult life. I suspect, however, that the life long habit he made about consistent year after year never ending work outs being a part of his weekly schedule is what helped him stay so fit for decade upon decade. Dennis, I salute you for your example and hope to find the type of pattern of workouts I can continue for the rest of my life . Better late than never.

4 comments:

John Thomas said...

Cheers on recognizing Dennis for his hard work and dedication. If we were all so dedicated to exercise as your buddy obviously is, we would all lead healthier, happier lives. I hope you'll be able to emulate him through your efforts Dan, and I think you're off to a good start. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

What a relief - a good blog post finally this week!

I stay in very fit shape so that when I do get an itch to do an event I haven't done in a while I am ready to jump right into sport specific training and don't need a ton of basic build up. To me, there is no pain like trying to get back into shape.

Amy said...

I think every woman's dream is to struggle to keep weight on;) I got Ron to agree to do the couch to a 5k runnning program with me and we started this week. I told him I wanted to race him in the end...you should join us in whatever 5k we do!

Anonymous said...

I have actually read an article that said being slightly underweight is as unhealthy as being slightly over ideal weight. I can't find it now, sorry. I'm sure there are all sorts of conditional reasons for this finding. But, it is somewhat interesting.