Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Oprah taught us about weight


The year I graduated from college, something really special started -- the Oprah Winfrey show. Very few people expected this large black woman to succeed in the very size-conscious field of TV. When Oprah first entered the national talk show industry in 1986, Phil Donahue was the King of Talk and had been for almost 20 years. Oprah became a success in spite of her size. Through the years Oprah's success intrigued me, especially as she struggled with weight.



I will never forget the 1988 show when Oprah came out on the stage pulling a wagon containing 67 pounds of fat. At this time I was in graduate school eating myself through the stress of the MBA program. Watching her in those size 10 jeans, for a moment I believed that could be me. In 1994, our paths crossed as I watched her jog past the finish line in the Cooper River Bridge 10K Run in Charleston, South Carolina. As she crossed the line, I pictured myself crossing the finish line one day.


Oprah was heckled unmercifully by the media about her rollercoaster weight. But her physical size was eventually overshadowed by the abundant amount of positive energy she shared with her audience. While others were fixated on her weight, Oprah focused on building her brand and connecting to her audience. She didn’t allow her physical appearance or her past hinder her from her ultimate goal. Those of us who routinely make excuses on why we can't, don't or won't lose weight should tear a page from Oprah's story. Sure she is still fighting her weight, but she has carried herself with grace and dignity. Oprah's example shows that we can accomplish anything if we focus on our goal.

Oprah, thank you for sharing your gift with me for the past 25 years. Your weight struggles reminded me and many others like me that we were not the only ones struggling with weight. Together we can do more, be more and share more. I got Oprah's message. Did you?



Nancy Johnson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't share your affection for Oprah. She was a poor example of health. She took advantage of the women of America and made them believe all kinds of things that ultimately didn't help most. Although she had a couple redeeming qualities, your blog is not the place to detail all the negative ways she impacted her fans. That will play out as time goes by. Nancy, forget Oprah. Write your own story. It might be more powerful and real than some tv icon.

Anonymous said...

I'm Oprah neutral. But, with entries on race, religion, and now Oprah I'm kinda wondering what this blog is about anymore. Oprah may or may not be inspirational but her fatness sure isn't part of the inspiration equation.