Thursday, February 10, 2011

Candy Bar Diet for Dummies





First, let's agree on something obvious. Each one of us starts a fitness program coming from a different background and facing varying challenges. Some folks will need variety out the ying yang (excuse the advanced medical jargon) to stick to their exercise routine.They will go to the spa/gym, hire personal trainers, work with a dietitian, join a walking or running club for social contact and encouragement. Join Weight Watchers for accountability and cooking ideas. Some will run, walk, do calisthenics, lift weights, swim, play tennis. Some will measure and weigh every morsel they eat. All I can say to this "variety" is "go for it guys and gals!!!!" .

There is no "one way" to fit every personality or body type. I even knew a guy in the past who lost weight eating candy bars. Yep. He substituted a candy bar for lunch instead of going to a fast food joint everyday where he had eaten two big cheeseburgers, a large fry and a full sugared cola.
So for him, one 500 calorie candy bar was way less calories than all that fast food. Not healthy in my opinion, but it worked for him. He also wasn't the least bit "fit".

Personally, this fat boy is a bare bones keep it simple kind of guy. I have an old exercise bike. I have a mountain bike. I have an assortment of dumbbells and a device to help me keep my neck in place for situps/crunches. Other than that, I go out the door and walk. I'm even throwing in a bit of jogging each walk. All this right in the comfort of my home or neighborhood. For me, having to "go somewhere" to work out will just give me an excuse to not do it. Perhaps a gym, however, is on your way to or from work and it works into your daily commute. Some folks can never get out the door once they get home. For those types, they better get the exercise done before they come home to the dog or spouse or TV.


Whatever it takes fat buddies. We can't fool ourselves though. Write it down. Keep a chart or a log of what you eat. Keep up with how many workouts you do each week or how many miles you walk or jog or bike. Track your weight once per week and compare your weeks activity and food consumption to the results. As they say "results will vary". The overall trend though, if we are serious about it, will show us the results we are looking for. One step at a time. One apple at a time. One victory at a time. Exercise when you can. And when you can't exercise, gripe about it.

2 comments:

Displaced Colorado Underwriter said...

Most of us need to loose weight and you have reminded us what we already know, but it's easier to just say "Next time or I'll do that tomorrow,..." The first step is the hardest, the commitment to start AND to keep exercising a little or a lot, we need the mindset or commitment to do it. I find that a workout buddy always gets you off the coach as both of you made an agreement to keep each other focused on loosing weight, becoming healther, and enjoying life again. Hang in there Dan! We know you can get those six pack abs once again.

Pam in FL said...

Hi Dan, Well I'm switching diet plans. I did lose 10 lbs so far but did not like the food and was always hungry. Let's see how this new plan goes. Keep up the good work on your plan!