Friday, February 11, 2011

My New World:Sneaks for Exercise Freaks


Exercisers take heed - you may be wearing the wrong shoe! After my blisters resulted in hobbling around and an extreme willingness to take off my shoes in public, I finally got the memo that hardcore runners and exercisers get their sneakers from a special store. Normally, I purchase my trainers on sale at Kohl's with a coupon or at a flea market where my husband can then get his pair half off. The thought of spending over a hundred dollars for a set of sneakers makes me vomit a little in my mouth. But in honor of my journey, I decided to go the "real" route and buy exercise shoes at a store where the salesmen make you run on a treadmill. So on a Saturday after administering the SATs, I went to get sneakers that cost more than a day's salary.

I was nervous when I first entered the store - lots of runner-types in Lycra or exercise cargo pants. The men seemed very streamlined and wore watches that looked like they were tracking something; the women had carefully disheveled pony tails and pushed those aerodynamic strollers with the one big wheel in the front. I felt like an alien.

Zack-the-Shoe-Man measured my feet while I prayed that they didn't smell from all the cheater laps I made around the classroom earlier in the day. After getting a trial pair from the back, ZTSM informed me that my wide foot would require a man's shoe. At first I was disappointed for two reasons: 1. I am not a man, 2. I liked the colorful little pretty shoes in the women's section. Surprisingly, having man-feet actually turned out to be a good thing - the amount I ended up spending was way less than my friend with her petite paws, and I even got some overly expensive but supposedly blister-proof socks as well!

Even though the process was very low key, the treadmill freaked me out - especially since the last person was running at a clip of 5.6 and I barely make one minute at 5.2 on good day. Luckily, ZTSM was sensitive to the look of panic on my face and slowed it down before I made a total spectacle of myself by knocking over a display of running sandals modeled after the Tarahumara Indians (seriously, there are actually barefoot running shoes). I was told to try to reach my best speed, which I knew would be quite the show since the treadmill was not only located in the middle of shoppers, but I also was not wearing a sports bra. Yay.

After trying on lots of different feller footwear, I chose the least man-like pair. ZTSM offered me the option of going outside and taking a jog to try them out; I almost rolled my eyes. He followed this suggestion with the explanation that a good exercise shoe should be one that makes you feel as if you aren't wearing a shoe at all. I'm not sure he got the joke when I pointed out how ironic that statement is for a non-exerciser. His final piece of advice was to replace my new shoes after 300 to 500 miles. I think I actually snorted from laughing so hard. I'm looking forward to breaking the 20 mile mark.

Overall, I'm happy with my new running shoes. I'm not going to lie and say I've wore them to the gym yet (Saturday is the test drive), but they are pretty fabulous looking with a pair of jeans.

Is there any other "special equipment" I should know about? Anyone else experience runner's world intimidation?

14 comments:

KMAL said...

Yes! I'm first! Holy heck, this is a funny blog. I think it was your best one, yet. As someone who just began running, last year, I can attest to the intimidation factor, even for someone who is "streamlined" in a store like that. As far as equipment goes, I love the Nike chip for the IPod. Maybe they make one for your Walkman. Hahahahahaha! Keep these blogs coming, Sykes. You rock!

Cayce said...

As a, ahem, well endowed woman, who is also a runner, let me suggest a VERY SUPPORTIVE sports bra. Again, you're gonna have to sink some money into keeping the girls secure. I suggest going to Try Sports. Personally, I love the Fiona.

Matt W said...

I'm thinking the salesman should have paid for you for the entertainment you provided. Fun post. Thanks for sharing.

You would enjoy the articles found here: http://www.runnersworld.com/newbie

Jodie said...

Oh, yeah, I so know what this is like. I'm not much of a runner (yet), but having to deal with plantar fasciitis made me go to that same type of specialty store. Once you know what gives you the best balance, fit, support you can always buy your next pairs online. I've done that twice now and have saved mucho dinero.

Also, if you want to sign up for a local 5K to use as a goal for your workouts you can always subscribe to ACTIVE.COM too.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for buying some shoes that fit. But personally for me, I don't need to run to lose weight. I've lost 18 pounds so far by dieting and walking fast 3 miles per day. I've never understood why people run, knowing it is going to eventually ruin your knees, hips and make your boobs hurt (if you are well-endowed). I know several people my age who've run all their lives and their bodies are now a wreck, while I'm still chugging along just fine with no injuries and no pain.

Eileen said...

Melissa, you crack me up. I actually lol when I'm reading your blog. Keep up the good work girl!!!

Diana said...

It's always fun to load up on gear to start a fitness journey, and it sounds like the best sneaker store ever. Can you add pictures of you wearing your snazzy sneakers?
Google 'Couch to 5K.' Check it out. It's a great way to start.
Good luck!

Sugar Plum said...

Good job on getting new trainers! Let us know how they work out :)

KMAL said...

Since people are plugging running sites, if you're going to begin running, there is no better site than Running Mate 5k with Todd. Having never run in my LIFE, Todd's podcasts, that are broken up into 8 segments, got Fran and I to train for and finish a 5k in 8 weeks. It's like having a running coach with you every step of the way. The "house" music drove me nuts, but Todd rules. I recommended his podcast to a friend who would echo everything I just typed.

Anonymous said...

Running is addictive and will shed pounds better than any other form of exercise for the time put in. Get a running plan or join a newbie running group.

Buy a GPS watch such as a model from Garmin. They are relatively cheap (under $250 now) and the data can be downloaded to your computer. When I don't run with my GPS watch I track my runs on google maps or mapmyrun.com.

Winter running requires two basic things - gloves/mittens and a good running cap that sheds moisture. Never run in cotton anything.

Anonymous said...

Only wear your good running shoes when you train, never just out and about. It's also good to have two pairs so you can rotate them on separate days so they totally dry out after each run.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking at sneakers in a whole new light. Now get those babies off to a good start and show them who's boss.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about everyone else but the sneakers I like are:
SHAQ's

Mandy said...

Ok that last comment about the shaqs has to be either mom or dad!hahahaha