Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I just got laid off. But I'll keep going


Hi boys and girls. Can you say "stress"? Can you say "stress stinks?"

It can suck the life out of you, literally. Studies show all kinds of negative impacts stress can have on your health. I have often marvelled at folks who lose weight due to stress. Me? I eat. I find stress and excuse to not exercise. In the past year I've had some stress.


My mother, who lived with my wife and I, passed away in our home in May. Immediately after that my employer asked that I move to North Carolina from Florida. This, of course, meant having to put our house up for sale in this terrible housing market. Then find another house here. My wife had to find a new job here.


We moved. Last week, an almost laughable "icing on the cake" (whoops, bad analogy) occurred. I got laid off. For the first time in my rather ancient life I'm without a job. So this is the end of the exercise and diet right? No way!


Whoever my next employer will be, will benefit from a sleeker and healthier "me." Guaranteed. I know there are folks out there who have some tough things going on in their life. I can only encourage you to not let it ruin your health. You owe it to yourself to kick stress in the butt and stay focused on your fitness and weight loss goals in 2011.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at it this way- that much more time to exercise! Good luck, stay positive.

Unknown said...

Yep, now there are no excuses to not exercise! Besides having the time to, you NEED to in order to help you through this time. I know you can do it-all of it-continue on your better health journey and find a way to employment again:)

paul marks said...

Hi Dan: Sorry to hear about the job loss. I'm still rooting for ya!!

Anonymous said...

I lost 90lbs when I was laid off...and I've kept it off for 10 years. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Anonymous said...

I call mine the "stress diet". Sorry about the news, especially after asking you to relocate. Hopefully, some decent severance is yours. Hang in there, good luck on health and wealth!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the bad news. Happened to me last summer as well. I used the time to my advantage. Would head out for a run as soon as I got up, then spent about 4 hours each day looking and applying for jobs, then spent the afternoon at the pool. ;)

Everything happens for a reason. I ended up in a job with higher pay, better benefits and more opportunity.

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

So sorry to hear about your chain of bad news, but it's wonderful that you're staying positive! Best wishes!!

Anonymous said...

Dan, I'm sorry to hear the news and it IS stressful, but both my husband and I (layoff and buyout, respectively) came to find that it has had the single biggest impact on our health and physical fitness.

Give your self a chance to mourn/grieve the loss of your job, then start celebrating your chance to spend some time focusing on you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck dan.Sorry to hear about your job,but this may just be perfect timing with your diet and all.You can job hunt as a slimmer,more fit job applicant,and you can wow 'em as a fit older,wiser employee.Now you have the motivation to run that extra mile or add 10 more pounds to the weights.Go get 'em slim.

Anonymous said...

Watch out, age discrimination is out there.

Anonymous said...

When you're ready, you may want to look into ProNet Charlotte (www.pronetcharlotte.com) for assistance in getting back to work.

Anonymous said...

I got fired in Oct of 09, lost 12+ lbs. in the following 8 months basically from walking dog and taking bike everywhere(within reason)..yes it WAS stressful without steady income, but the time was priceless for my health. Don't give up, there is a job out there for you, and, jobs are overated anyway.

Melissa M. Sykes said...

Don't forget my emailed list! - M. Sykes

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Sorry to hear it. I was too, at the end of July. I knew, I knew, I knew I would either gain 20 lbs (on top of the 20 I was already overweight) or lose 20. I chose (it is a choice) to lose and thank goodness. The best stress buster - exercise. I am down 23 lbs and I can manage the stress of the job search. I am much, much more confident and powerful as I look for a new role because I am no longer overweight. Sad, but people do judge. Look at this tough situation as a gift of time to take care of yourself. You can only look for a job a certain number of hours a day. I started looking in January and maybe spend 3-4 hours all in per day. The rest of the time I enjoy reading, spending time with my family and I work out for 90 minutes. That's a gift that I know I will not have when I go back to work. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Keep working and keep being positive. Things have to get better.

KMAL said...

Rooting for you all the way!