Monday, February 28, 2011

Tastes like a BIG Chicken





I've lost 14 pounds so far by thinking about stuff. Thinking about my exercise program and thinking about what to eat and what not to eat. Thinking about stuff is important, but actually "doing" something as a result of your thinking is where you make the progress on your fitness and weight loss goals. Take walking and jogging for instance. Some people ask me if I'm not "bored" while out on the road walking for an hour or more. They just can't imagine what you think about for that long without talking on a cell phone or being online with a computer. Well, I sometimes have a thinking "theme" for my walks. I'll pre plan a topic to totally immerse my mind in while breathing heavy.

For instance, I recently read that some Japanese scientist had found some frozen Woolly Mammoth tissue in a Glacier. They intend to extract DNA from ol Woolly Bully and implant it into a female elephant egg. These scientist with nothing better to do would then try to produce a clone of the Woolly Mammoth. I'm breathing deep and slow as I walk and the blood is fully enriching my delicate mind at this point in my thoughts. That got me to thinking, what would a Woolly Mammoth "taste" like? I'm sure post ice age men didn't risk life and limb to hunt these beast down just for fun. They must have known that these Mammoths made great Bar B Que. At the very least, a Mammoth must taste like chicken. A BIG chicken. I also suspect it would fit right in with an Atkins diet.

And what about Penguins? Its a water bird isn't it? So does it perhaps taste like a duck? Why don't we eat Penguins? They are big and plentiful after all. They can't fly so we could just sneak up on them and cook them. Could it be that Penquins are just too cute to eat?

As I walk by a big barking dog my mind drifts to Tigers. Tigers are not all that cute and Tigers eat people. They could also easily eat that barking dog. Isn't it our turn and just basic justice that we now eat them? But I don't see Tiger on the menu anyplace around the Charlotte area. Maybe you have to get up to Chicago to find that type of stuff as a pizza topping.

Do you get the feeling that food is perhaps at the forefront of my mind these days? Do you worry about your pets as I walk around town?

The point is, you have all types of options to think about while you are out jogging and walking. Your thoughts may be a tad less, shall we say.....bizarre than mine. Then again, political elections over the years have convinced me I'm not alone in weird thought patterns.

The sky is the limit however, so knock yourself out and solve the problems of the world while you solve your fitness problem one step at a time. Now get walking folks.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Leave it to you to wonder what Woolly Mammouth would taste like! :) If that's what keeps you exercising then good for you! I was thinking the other day that I need to run with a voice recorder because I think of everything I need to do and make long lists while I run. Good job on the weight loss so far! Keep it up. Love you daddy!

Anonymous said...

I really am impressed wtih your focus and dedication. You seem to be doing everything right.

Unlike you I think about nothing other than the exercise I'm doing when I'm exercising. I find when I let my mind wander I lose focus and my times suffer. So, when I run, all I think about is running and pacing.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the poundage. Think of 14 boxes (not sticks) of butter! That used to be in you! Awesome job in shedding it. I LOVE THE idea of a pre-determined thing to think about on a walk. Like the previous writer said, I don't have the discipline. The Wooly Mammouth would turn into thinking about getting my hair cut and colored which would make me think about my schedule and when I could find 4 hours to do something as ridiculous as my hair which would turn into stress about how busy I am and how I don't have time to walk!!! That's why I listen to really loud music. Drowns out the thinking! Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic imagination! I love it.