Thursday, June 9, 2011

Putting my oxygen mask on first

Over the past two weeks, I have been on a time rollercoaster. As a single mother to a child with many health related issues, the demands on my time over the past two weeks have been great. Consequently, I have taken care of everyone and everything else except myself; at the end of the day I have often been too exhausted for me. Not long ago, I would have used my crazy schedule as an excuse on why I can't eat better or exercise. NOT THIS YEAR, I am determined to win this fight and I will persevere.


Yes, I am a single-parent. Yes, I am a full-time employee. Yes, I am a committed Toastmaster. All of these things are very important to me, BUT I AM COMMITTED to finding ways to put me first. So, I guess I will have to embrace getting up earlier in the morning to exercise. It is the only time of the day that is not generally scheduled. If you are a parent and find yourself in a similar situation, put your oxygen mask on first so you will be around for your children and others who depend on you.
Nancy Johnson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ys and most local gyms open at 5 am. They are full of people with the same situation as you.

Nancy J said...

Thank you for the tip. 20 years ago I successfully lost 30 pounds on my own program by exercising early in the morning before work. As much as I HATE getting up early, I know that this is the only time that I have full control of and need to manage better. Thank you for reminding me to use this time to focus on me and my weight lose goals.

Anonymous said...

After 5-6 months of this blog I continue to be dismayed by the excuse making. By now, exercise and diet changes should be ingrained.