Monday, June 6, 2011

Taking the Stairs

I have many fears; one is a fear of heights. Yet everyday for almost a year, I have taken the elevator up to the 40th floor to work in the Smartest Building in America -- the Duke Energy Center. I have persevered through my fear every day except one – yesterday, Sunday June 5th.


My daughter and I rode the elevator to the 40th floor and when it got to the 40th floor, the door opened two inches and no more. Even after pushing the open and close button several times, nothing happened. Brittany was calm, but my panic attack was quick and very real. Lucky for me the building's call button was immediately answered and they were able to remotely take us down to another floor where we quickly got off and then walked up to the 40th floor.

Every day I work on the 40th floor, I will be reminded of the urgency for me to get in shape. I will be adding stair climbing to my exercise routine immediately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a fear of elevators as well. I fear I'll get stuck on one with a tubber and he/she will try to eat me.

Anonymous said...

People are always telling us to take the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Well I would because I love walking and walking up stairs but the tower I work in uptown will not let me walk all the way up to my floor. I suspect most other towers are the same. If you're an employee, they should let you take the stairs when you want.

Anonymous said...

For as many dingy dirty buildings there are in the world, I have never actually heard of anyone dieing in an elevator crash. I personally know people who have died because of health reasons. Take the stairs, you'll live longer.