Tuesday, April 26, 2011

20 pounds down, 50 to go. I need 5K advice




I write this blog on Thursday morning right before going out the door for a walk. You may recall I was up 3 pounds over the weekend. The weekend was my daughters wedding with way too much to eat and drink. Well, as of Thursday morning I'm already rid of that excess and have reached the 20 pound weight loss mark.

Now that I'm getting into better and better shape and weigh less I hope to accelerate the intensity of the exercise and am cutting out all beer/booze for the time being to maximize calorie reduction and nutrition.

So, being laid off from my job and getting through my daughter's wedding weekend is history. Next on the list is getting ready for a 5k sometime in July. Any local ones that are low key you readers can suggest?

Then its big build up for turning 60 in Oct and doing the Thunder Road half marathon in mid November. Just finishing that event without being pulled off the course from being too slow is the major goal.

Last of all, by year end, I WILL be no more than 175 pounds!!!!!!!

Now I'm out the door for a 3.25 mile walk and then a SPEW workout when I get back to the house. Keep at it you bunch of losers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why wait til July to do a 3K? There are races all the time and it is only 3.1 miles. Do a couple before July, what's the harm?

As to your half marathon, I've grown increasingly tired of people wanting to run halfs/fulls simply to say they did it and "just to finish." That's a cop-out. If you are going to do it, do it to win it and push yourself as hard as you can. Sure, you won't win it but if your goal is to simply finish, why bother? You can go out this Saturday and run/walk 13.1 miles without a problem.

Dan said...

Don't forget I was not running at all and almost 250 pounds earlier this year and am an old geezer now. The 5k and 13.1 are challenging goals given where I started so recently. In my 30's and 40's I ran tons of 5ks with PR of 18:21 and finished 12 marathons with all but one under 4 hours and a PR of 3 hours and 21 minutes. So I don't have to prove I've "done one" but I do have to work at it to "come back" from the abyss I was in recently from being so fat and out of shape. Given time I'm sure I'll get faster. But for now, I have my work cut out for me just to finish these things without risking injury due to the pounding your knees and feet take at this weight.

Anonymous said...

So, this doesn't explain why you have to wait until July to run a 5K. Cmon, man, it's 3 miles.

Dan said...

nag nag nag. Cheez, you are worse than my wife. Sure, I could shuffle through a 5k right now, but I'd rather wait a couple more months to lose more weight and get into better and better shape to not have such an embarrassingly slow time when I do it. Then I'll have a reasonable base line time in the event to improve on each time from that point on. I will be slow at first, but I don't want turtles kicking sand in my face.

Michael said...

Congratulations Dan. Im happy for your progress. Keep up the good work. Im planning on doing the half marathon this year too but im looking 'to just finish', as Ive done in previous years.

Amy said...

Plus, if you wait until July your daugther will join you for the 5k! Good job Daddy:)

Anonymous said...

Darn right, I'm a nag. Fat people need a few nags in their lives to get them moving. I simply have never understood the concept of putting something off simply because you couldn't post a great time. If it is fun, do it now! I have had some great and memorable times at events I didn't think I was ready for.

Anonymous said...

Cabarrus County has a Streetlight 5k July 15th ~ good luck!