Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sleeping Off the Weight?

Nancy Johnson

Since joining this blog, I have become a connoisseur of weight loss information -- from people, from the internet and from books and magazines. One piece of information that completely took me by surprise was an article in USA Today on a possible link between sleep and weight loss. Now, I know many of you are wanting to know how my first week on Weight Watchers' went, but since I don't weigh in until noon today, you will have to wait until tomorrow's blog for that update. The USA Today article summarized a study which indicated that people who are sleep deprived eat on average 300 more calories per day. The article provided a good explanation of why sleep is important to a healthy metabolism and what happens when you don't get enough sleep. This is really interesting news for me because those who know me know that not only do I burn the candle at both ends, on weeks like this one I also burn the candle in the middle and up all sides. Yes, I am very sleep deprived. Typically, I function on less than 6 1/2 hours of sleep but the THOUGHT of those extra 300 calories creeping onto me might be enough to scare me to sleep a little earlier tonight! I've always heard that sleep was an important part to a healthy lifestyle. Now I finally have an incentive to get more of it.
Question -- Am I the only person who doesn't get 8 hours of sleep?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pfft. I consider 6.5 hours of sleep a GOOD night! :)

Last night I might've managed five, and it's all my own fault. Like you, I read the article and connection between the two, so I'm going to also make a legitimate effort to try and get more sleep.

Good luck!

Matt W said...

7. Pretty consistently. If I go to sleep at 10:30, I wake up with no alarm at 5:30.

Anonymous said...

Sleep is, in my opinion, the greatest single factor in successful training. The two weeks prior to a competition I got into the sleep bunker and try to get 9 hours a night. It is simply amazing what a good night of sleep can do for you overall.

smilinggreenmom said...

Sleeping off the weight - oh my. I absolutely feel the need to get at least 10 hours a night it seems. I do wrk hard at eating my whole foods, drinking my green tea and taking my Vidazorb probiotic for not just weight - but personal wellness! I love it :) Now I just need to get busy exercising!

Michael Procton said...

Sleep is nice, but it's just so hard to get in a good night's worth with so much on our plates these days.