Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Can I finally get an Easy Bake Oven?

 Nancy Johnson:

Let me tell you one of my secrets.  I am a little challenged in the kitchen.  Okay, I guess since I mentioned in it my second post, "When Pigs Fly", it probably isn't a secret for our loyal readers.

BUT REALLY, I CAN'T COOK!

You probably think I'm joking, right?  Well, I am not.  My brother, my daughter, and even my ex-husband will gladly certify this to be a fact.  I am sure any one of them might even post a crazy comment to this post.

My culinary disability must have appeared when I was young because I wasn't even allowed to own an Easy Bake Oven as a little girl.  Apparently my mother could see that my domestic skills just weren't there.

I do cook, but it often ends with tasteless food and a smoke-filled room.  Because of this fact, I eat out more than most.  This is a HUGE problem when trying to lose weight.  I have often said that it would be so nice to have a restaurant that specialized in fresh, home cooked food that was also healthy, you know sorta like a Weight Watcher restaurant ala carte. 

It looks like I might finally learn to cook healthy foods!  A new company, Flex + Fit, will open in May in the Duke Energy Center.  Flex + Fit will offer fitness classes but there is one amenity that really got my dormant cooking skills' attention -- healthy cooking classes.  Soon they will offer classes led by Johnson and Wales chefs and students.  

I hope to take a few classes to help me improve my healthy eating. I guess I really should warn the owner to make sure there are batteries in the smoke alarms.  If they can teach me, they can teach anyone.  If I get really good, maybe I will finally get my Easy Bake Oven!

Until next week, have fun and enjoy life! 




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that no kids will be able to own an Easy Bake Oven after this years, since Govco has outlawed the light bulb that powers the oven, in 2012.

Anonymous said...

Well.....good for you, I guess. Cooking is not rocket science. A little common sense and a resolve to keep it simple go a long way to preparing decent food. There's so much on the internet to teach you how to prepare things it's really not necessary to take classes but whatever floats your boat. good luck

Anonymous said...

As a fellow WW ~ the George Foreman grill has made it quick and easy to grill up a hamburger, chicken breast, fish, and pork chops. Get one ~ it is fabulous!!! Just about 4 to 6 minutes and your meat is done!!! I love it!!!! The WW site has a lot of great easy recipes ~ also some crock pot recipes. Give it a try! Best wishes for this week's WI!

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to learn to cook healthy meals!!

chupacabra said...

I never have understood what people mean when they say they can't cook. It really isn't that hard to get a cookbook and follow the directions. Start with something like "How to Cook Everything". I guess half of it is wanting to.

Jod said...

I think those cooking lessons are a great idea!! I will be watching for them to open up so I can enroll too!! Thanks for the info Nancy!! Good luck in your cooking endeavors!