Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Man in the Mirror

One of my favorite songs of all times is Michael Jackson's, "Man in the Mirror". The theme of the song is that there are so many bad things happening in the world, but the only way to make the world a better place is to start with the person you see everyday in the mirror.

This blog has been an interesting journey thus far. The support given from my family (especially my daughter), my friends, fellow Toastmaster pals, co-workers, Weight Watchers, the YMCA, and the like has been phenomenal! I definitely feel the love. To date, I've lost 17 pounds (gained 1.5 this week), but more importantly my daughter has lost over 40 pounds.

This statistic is the most exciting for me because my weight loss journey started with a newspaper article that I did not feel accurately portrayed me. But because of some of the comments that followed that article, I finally decided to make a change. The journey to weight loss and a healthy lifestyle can be overwhelming. That's probably why the weight loss industry has been so profitable. The promise of quick results without incremental work usually ends with a return of the weight and the cycle begins again. I have not been perfect in my eating habits or exercise. There is a LOT of opportunity for improvement. But I now realize that small changes repeated every day, can and will net big results. It just takes time, discipline and a mind that is focused on the goal.

"Man in the Mirror" had a message repeated throughout the song: And no message could've been any clearer.  If you wanna make the world a better place.  Take a look at yourself and then make that change!  Moms, our kids are watching what we are doing. The good and the bad. One article made me think and finally decide to make a change. I am so glad I did!

Nancy Johnson

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got the keys to the kingdom...you get it. Keep those small changes going and it may take longer but you'll e down 40 and your daughter will be down more too! Congratulations and thank you for your real life inspiration and strength.

Anonymous said...

There's also a saying that goes, "You can talk the talk, but you gotta walk the walk". What you write is very good but you're obviously not applying it. If you apply fundamental things such as proper eating and sufficient exercise you will lose weight. There will be no gains. And you gained this week. I'm glad your daughter is losing weight. When I read that you all are considering weight loss surgery for her I absolutely cringe.

Anonymous said...

In a perfect world there would be no weight gain, but we don't live in a perfect world and obviously this blogger is a work in process.

Interesting. Only thing you picked up on was gain of 1.5. Not the cumulative loss of 17 + 40. Instead of encouraging the positive, you chose to hone in on the negative.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, but I am encouraged by this story and continue to root for them.

John Thomas said...

I'm glad you get it, Nancy. Keep up the good work! Perhaps you need to sit down and have a chat with Melissa, as she obviously does not comprehend the effort and dedication required to exact a chance in herself and her life.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with J. Thomas. Wonder what excuses will be brought to us by Melissa in her next blog post.