Thursday, April 21, 2011

Making the Connection

I weighed in at my Weight Watchers at Work meeting yesterday.  I was surprised to learn that I did not gain weight this week.  I actually lost a pound.  19 pounds down; at least 17 more to go. 

Truth be told, there is so much that could go wrong when you are trying to lose weight -- deadlines, obligations, and those friendly coworkers with their afternoon snacks. This is especially true when the brain, the tongue, and the hand refuse to work towards together the common goal.

Each day my brain and I start the day ready to embark on a healthy day; a day which starts with rest, healthy food and exercise. Although my brain realizes the importance that each of these plays to my weight loss journey, my tongue is, however, taking a little while longer to get with the program. Healthy foods just don't have the same appeal to my taste sensitive tongue.


My tongue is pretty convincing. It knows what it wants and has great negotiation skills. (Remember it gets lots of practice in Toastmasters).  My tongue continuously tries to persuade my brain to bypass the healthy options and then it works on my hand to deliver the ill-gotten goods. To get my tongue into the healthy mantra, I often find myself humming “Mmm, mmm, good” as I eat things like spinach. When this little trick doesn’t work, I then visualize myself walking down Tryon Street in my little black dress.

Now that is a picture that finally makes the connection. Enjoy the weekend.

Nancy Johnson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the best feeling isnt it? When you think you have gained and you lose!!! Follow WW for one week versus winging it. Pick 5 days that work best in yiur schedule and commit! If you fall off then the 5 days starts again. Your week doesnt have to start on a Monday Just do it for one week and exercise big. Use the momentum. Your body is telling you it is ready to go!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your progress. But reading your posts are hard because you are making it so hard on yourself. Granted, it's not easy but when you put the focus of your weight loss on diet, you're making it hard on yourself. Effective weight loss and just being healthy in general, comes down to exercise. When you've been sedentary for so long....I get it...it's hard to get moving. But once you do and make it a lifestyle change, the weight comes off and can stay off. I've lost considerable weight and I stay fit now and I don't even think about it because it's simply a part of my lifestyle. Point yourself in that kind of direction and you will succeed big time.

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:45 - you are right, but that lifestyle change takes longer for some. Congrats on your changes. I'm sure Nancy will give the same testimony as you before too long. Just try not to downplay it when others take longer to make the change.

Nancy, I think I'll try that visual trick, imagining me walking down Tryon St in that really nice suit I have in the closet that I need to lose 40 pounds to fit into.