Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Watching the Weight

If you are expecting to read another uplifting post about my weight loss journey, you can stop reading right here. No, really. Today I am not my normal inspirational self. Today will be my official whine post and for those not interested in hearing me whine, I will wait a few seconds for you to leave the blog. (For everyone else, hum the jeopardy song here)


Okay, so can I assume that the rest of you are either one of my truly committed readers (thank you), or a little curious or otherwise downright bored? Why else would you bypass my whining disclaimer? Last week, I gained weight (1.5 pounds) and the scale will probably show that I have gained another pound today. Yuck.

Prior to rejoining Weight Watchers a few weeks ago, I was 3 pounds shy of losing 20 pounds. 3 pounds shy! Lately, it seems that I have truly been "watching the weight" and not in the way that I'm supposed to. :( Now, before the curious naysayers get their trigger finger close to the keyboard, back up and put the finger down. I AM NOT BLAMING Weight Watchers, my leader or anyone else other than my brain, my tongue, and my hand. Weight Watchers is a great program and if you follow it, it works. If you "sorta" follow the plan, you "sorta" get results. If you wing it (like I THOUGHT I was doing), you shouldn't be shocked when the weight decides to stick around.

Occasionally, we all fail or fall down. Falling down is not a problem. Staying down is. Tomorrow I will share the series of untimely events between my brain, my tongue, and my hand.


Nancy Johnson

11 comments:

Jodie said...

Nancy,
Nobody is perfect all the time. This is just a little bump in the road. You already sound like you're back with you plan. You can do it!!

Anonymous said...

I dunno, this is rough stuff. After three months there really is nothing to be proud of here, except your daughter's weight loss. It's all fun and games the first month but the drudgery can set it after that.

The problem with extreme weight loss like you and Melissa are undertaking is that it requires an extreme devotion. And, it takes a good bit of enthusiasm to start this up. It seems you have pretty much failed to maintain the momentum and enthusiasm, which is a big danger sign that your program is flagging.

It is ok to regroup and refocus, find what you are doing wrong and immediately correct. But, limping along like you are doing isn't good.

I guess Melissa has totally quit blogging, which was pretty much predictable after her first few posts.

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't give up!!! You have accomplished so much and have the right approach. As someone who has lost 10 pounds and has 20 more to go, it is a constant process that you may follow perfectly one week and not so perfectly the next. All you can do is recognize when you've gone off track and get right back on. You can do this!

Just Jackie said...

Start Where You Stand, By Berton Braley
Start where you stand and never mind the past,
The past won't help you in beginning new,
If you have left it all behind at last
Why, that's enough, you're done with it, you're through;
This is another chapter in the book,
This is another race that you have planned,
Don't give the vanished days a backward look,
Start where you stand.

The world won't care about your old defeats
If you can start anew and win success;
The future is your time, and time is fleet
And there is much of work and strain and stress;
Forget the buried woes and dead despairs,
Here is a brand-new trial right at hand,
The future is for him who does and dares,
Start where you stand.

Anonymous said...

Poetry won't help you lose weight. It's about you. Saying the right things is easier than doing the right things.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous,
Don't forget the the biggest first step you can take is admitting you have a problem. Saying something makes it real and sometimes we all need a little motivation to get us going. It's called being human. Poetry or a kind word, it all makes a difference when you are making a life change.

Anonymous said...

At some point the blogger has to stop thinking pats on the back and atta-girls will suffice for actual effort required to lose weight.

Anonymous said...

I don't see where Nancy has said that pats on the back and atta-girls are sufficing for the actual weight loss. She has identified that she didn't do what she needed to do and as a result didn't see the results. She's dissapointed with herself, but understands that she needs to be committed. That's a lot more than most people who attempt to lose weight can manage to do. Usually they just give up.

Anonymous said...

Just words, show results. It is really easy to say the right things. Where's the action?

Nancy J said...

FYI. 18 pounds in 12 weeks is results. Remember my goal was 36 by September, so I think I'm on my way. I might not be doing as good as possible, but I know I'm doing better than I had been.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I'm in a turbulent time the last few weeks, but I'm expecting May to be a HUGE improvement.

Nancy J said...

P.S. I loved the poem. Thanks and good night.