Monday, March 21, 2011

Bad diets I've tried....


I've been on lots of diets. Lots. That's why this time around, I'm focusing on changing for life, not just the amount of days required to detox or fat-blast. Apple Cider Vinegar diet? Been there. I think I lost weight because I constantly felt like puking after drinking "the mixture." Weight Watchers? I've pointed and earned some stars but could have done better. I formed the ridiculous habit of thinking that 20 points = 4 cookies and then starved the rest of the day. LA Weight Loss? Worked well but I got addicted to the LA bars - I think they had a narcotic in them. Atkins? Made my cholesterol go up and gave me gas. Had I stuck with it, I might have been skinny with really disgusting habits. 3-Day Cleanse? Tasted horrible and I almost passed out pumping gas. Seems my roller coaster record proves that diets generally make me thin only for as long as it takes to make me fatter.


Obviously, I was a little skeptical when a friend told me about a new diet gaining popularity after debuting on a daytime self-help show (another one?!). Friend said she was going to start after learning about it from her mom who tried it and in 3 weeks lost 25 pounds. That got my interest - technically that's a personal endorsement and it's not even a six-degrees of separation Kevin Bacon distance. After lots of Google searches titled "___ diet + bad reviews", I learned that Friend's diet promotes "clean eating" and followers were able to make it part of their lifestyle. That appeals to me - I'm a proponent of clean and life. Not only does this plan seem doable, but it also is realistically healthy. It may even give me some stuff to write about since generating 2 posts per week is not that easy when you're limited to one topic that is kinda boring. Interesting...

I will be trying Friend's diet to jump start my weight loss and get me more than a 10 pound weight removal. I'm getting bored with eating the same things and want to have lots of new experiences on this journey. For the sake of blog research, I had been debating getting some hormone shots I read about. A diet book is way cheaper and may help me avoid a lecture from my mom. Had I a Kindle, I would have it instantly and be starting tomorrow. My birthday's not for awhile, so Amazon.com had to do. My estimated arrival time is Thursday; in the meantime I'll be keeping up with my exercise and healthy fare. Friday's post will dish the details. Until then, it's champagne wishes and cooking-light dirty dishes.

10 comments:

tigerblood said...

Hope this diet works for you. From the people that I know that are or have been on the shots, they typically work because of the strict 500 calorie diet that you are forced to be on. Be cautious, because like get rich quick schemes, these diets can leave you in worse shape then when you started. Good luck, and may the weight poor off!

tigerblood said...

pour...too early, too monday

Anonymous said...

I'd be very careful of this diet. First off, it's an infomercial so that should tell you about how much credibility it deserves. Second, 25 pounds in 3 weeks is completely and totally unsustainable. Third, you mentioned all the diets you've tried and failed so why start a new one?

They key in your weight loss endeavor is not to consider this another diet but a lifestyle change. Diets are get rich quick schemes.

I don't understand why you consider healthy eating to be boring. To me, stuffing your face with fat foods seems gross and extremely boring. Healthy eating really opens up the food options well beyond the high calorie dense diet.

Sugar Plum said...

Looking forward to giggling over your description of your new diet :)

Anonymous said...

I suspect if you go back and review your blog entries, and maybe your multi year battle with morbid obesity, you might discover you engage in acts of desperation instead of rational long term weight loss goals and plans. For instance, on this blog, you went on a 12 mile hike, auditioned for The Biggest Loser and now you are jumping into some fad diet advertised on TV. None of these are plans for long term life changing weight loss and healthy living. You need to stop searching for the magic bullet and just hunker down for the long haul with a reasonable approach.

tigerblood said...

Negativity report...as of 2:13 PM, none thus far, good work...Healthy food can be delicious, and baked foods can mimic the taste/texture of fried fatty foods at a fraction of the calories :) There are many resources and recipes online that can make you a "chef" in no time with little mess and clean up. Though, maybe hubby could do the dishes ;)

tigerblood said...

Stopped by to read some winning posts, but it's been a slow day. Perhaps everyone is working extra hard this Monday, or lucky to be outside!!!

tigerblood said...

love the sound of crickets in the evening...

Anonymous said...

First, I applaud you for wanting to change your eating and exercise habits. I am there, doing that. I am down 31 pounds since the last week of November and it's all been done by eating healthy and small portions and by exercising (which I am now addicted to).

I have a very dear friend who has tried many different "diets" and unfortunately has failed at all of them. Her most recent was by doing the shots. She lost 65 pounds in a little less than a year but as soon as she couldn't afford them anymore, she gained the weight back in half the time it took her to lose it. I just feel for her because she is upset with herself but now she is on the next big fad...unfortunately, I can't get through to her that she needs to focus on it being a lifestyle change, not a quick fix.

Personally, I am not one to try these new fads because I know that eating better and exercising is the best way for me.

Please keep us informed on how it's going.

Best of luck to you!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I am amazed by the negative comments posted regarding the time taken to lose the weight. Many people, including myself, have to try a few times until something kick starts their booty into gear.

Having said that, I do agree that fad diets are not reliable and the only way to sustain real weight loss is balanced eating and exercise. I am starting a journey myself.

I would also like to mention that all infomercials are not scams. I happen to use a few products regularly that are wonderful!!! One of the healthiest products on the market right now, although not advertised on TV, is produced by a leading fitness company who sells fitness on TV. I use it, it's true to it's description and it works!

Kudos to you for not giving up!