Thursday, March 17, 2011

I lose weight, then it finds me again




As I bust butt along the way to lose weight and get back into better shape, I recall that I've done this before. Twice in my adult life I've lost a lot of weight and been in tremendous physical shape. Once was for years of running competitively, including marathons. The most recent was a fanatical immersion into ballroom dancing with my wife.

Each time, however, I ended up going back to being overweight. Each time was due to relocating to new states or having a major lifestyle change such as an elderly parent moving into our house.

Those occurrences were both "reasons" and "excuses" as to why I slipped and stopped my fitness routines. So, I have to plan for the future. You never know when you might be laid off from work, like I recently was, or get injured falling down stairs or getting ill.
I/we have to diversify our diet and fitness activities to survive these bumps in the road. Don't just run or just lift weights. Do both those things and bike and swim or play tennis etc. Don't just do an extreme diet like Atkins. Do a diversified total lifestyle diet. My overweight buddies, we have to plan for the long battle and be sure to never give up whatever the problems that face us in life. Now get out there and go for a walk.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Dan!

Anonymous said...

Someone in the health industry told me that when we tell ourselves we have "lost weight", the mind thinks we have lost something valuable and seeks to "find it", which could explain weight regain! She said a good term to use is "I've shed excess pounds"! Best of luck to you - I'm doing the same things you are and having success, too. The trick is to keep it off.

Anonymous said...

I think you've finally nailed it. It is a lifestyle change but the weight gain has a root. Just like on that Biggest Loser show. When they figure out the root of the problem (many times it's psychological though...past hurts, etc.) they can move forward with changing their lives. But unlike this country where so many don't want to take responsibility for their actions (it's always some reason or someone else's fault) you're sounding like you're ready to take control. Stay active, stay fit! Good luck.