Thursday, March 3, 2011

Detailing my SPEW workout



I've just started my Monday morning with a 3.25 mile walk/jog. My weekly weighin wasn't good. I didn't lose any weight. Looking at my exercise log I'm disappointed at first glance. I only did 9.7 miles walk/jog, 40 minutes biking and two of my SPEW (sit ups, push ups, exercise bike, weights) workouts. All these items are less than I had intended.

Some readers have wanted to know more about the nuts and bolts of exactly what I'm doing for exercise. Well, the figures about give you an indication. My SPEW workings include 3 sets of 40 push ups, 3 sets of 50 sit ups/crunches and I've just gone up in dumbell weight from a 22 pounder to a 30 pound piece of iron. I do curls and shoulder lifts and two directions of arm extension then using a lighter ten pound weight for straight arm extentions.

The basics though are supposed to be the walking/jogging/biking. I've got to get those exercises "up" a good bit.

My daughter's wedding is April 16. I have to get fitted for the tux before the end of March. I'd love to lose another 5 to 7 pounds before then.

I guess my spirit is still somewhat in mourning from being laid off from my job. I was thinking negatively about my less than expected exercise for last week. Then again, for a "bad" week, that still kicks the butt from my recent past. So, keep your chin up folks and I'll do the same. Listen to your body and be smart about increasing your exercise increments. We fat buddies cannot, however, allow the trend to go in the wrong direction. Gather your focus, gather your friends and family. Gather your wits but just don't gather moss from inactivity. Now get out there and move!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Yep, to gain any weight on a bad week isn't so bad. I know you can do this and meet your goal because you've done it before! Stay focused and remember that exercising will help lift your spirits when you start feeling down about being laid off. Keep it up:)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you didn't gain. That's a win. And remember it is all about AVERAGES. Your body has no idea what a week is. It is a measure to keep us on track but if you hit it hard this week, you might even lose 3 or more instead of the average of 2! If you have to be fitted in three weeks look yourself in the mirror and promise - every morning that you are going to get at least 30 minutes of CARDIO. Weights, push ups, sit ups are soooo important BUT if you want to go down 5-7 you must sweat more. You CAN do it. Every time you feel blue about the job, think about the wedding and do something/anything physical. Walk up a flight of stairs, do 10 push ups, sit in a chair and do some leg lifts, go for a walk - anything. While doing that short burst of movement - think of the wedding. You'll feel better and you will have burned a few more calories - which is better than adding a few! You have such an opportunity while out of work to really kick it into gear. I felt bad for about a month after I left my job and then said, "Hey, when will I ever have this kind of time to exercise and lose weight again?". Go for it!