Thursday, March 24, 2011

Move Over, Jennifer!

Do you remember my blog about the scale at my doctor's office? Well that was nothing!

Yesterday I attended a Weight Watchers open house. There is nothing like getting weighed on a scale, in a room full of smiling people to make me accountable to lose weight.

I tried Weight Watchers in the past and did manage to lose some weight. But as soon as I stopped going to the meetings, the pounds started creeping on. When I started this blog, I was almost 20 pounds over my last Weight Watcher weight.

Why wasn't I able to meet my goal weight the last time I was a WW member? One reason. I focused more on the weekly weight and not enough on adapting to the heathier lifestyle to get to the healthier weight. Another reason. I absolutely refused to write down what I ate or track points. I was a Weight Watcher rebel. Sorry Ty!

Surprise, Surprise. I didn't lose much weight! It seems that failure to count the points in Weight Watchers is like drinking a diet soda with a supersized fried fast food meal. The intentions are good, but it just doesn't result in much lost weight.

Though food choice and portion sizes are key to weight loss, exercise really gets the excess fat moving. And guess what? The last time I was in Weight Watchers, I really did not exercise. The Weight Watchers system stresses all three components and when followed has been a great success for many people that I know. Boy did it work for Jennifer! The girl looks great.

To date, I have lost 14 pounds; more than a third of the way to my minimum 2011 weight loss goal. Yesterday, I rejoined Weight Watchers to help me retrain my brain on the healthy way to incorporate all three facets: better food selection, smaller portion sizes, and fun exercise into my 2011 weight loss journey.

Who knows, maybe I'll finally learn how to sing like Jennifer! If nothing else, I will learn to write things down, count my points and exercise along the way.

12 comments:

tigerblood said...

Way to go Nancy J! :)

Nancy J said...

What is your favorite Weight Watcher moment? You know, a time when you realized that you might have picked up a few extra pounds.

Mine was, when I sat down in a theatre-like meeting at Queens College. The seat fit me like a glove and I da_n near had to lotion up to get out of it. I knew you all needed a laugh! ;)

Anonymous said...

What I like about Weight Watchers is that it is flexible and adaptable. You can eat what you want and it accommodates exercise nicely. The on-line version is really nice. It has a good track record.

Anonymous said...

I just started WW online 2 weeks ago. Weight is coming off SLOWLY, but I realized something this morning...I feel good. I mean, my energy level is through the roof. On-line point tracking is really easy, and I'm eating so much healthier, and not hungry. 8 lbs down, 82 to go... :)

Anonymous said...

I love Weight Watchers! I lost 30 pounds this past summer before my wedding. I never in a million years thought I could be a size 8 again! Now I am sticking with it to make sure I don't let those pounds sneak back on. I feel and look great!

Anonymous said...

Please don't start bashing because of what I'm about to write. I appreciate your love of WW and glad that's helping you attain goals. But to me, that seems like a short term fix. Do you really want to live your life tracking points till the day you die? I understand that when you've let it get out of control it's a good way to get it back in check but there really needs to be an afterlife to WW. A person should be able to eat responsibly and not gain weight IF they lead an active lifestyle. If you're going to remain sedentary then I guess the point system is there. But as you lose weight, if you are developing physically, you will be able to do more which in turn helps you burn the calories. And frankly, it's a whole lot more fun to play sports, run, bike, hike, etc. than it is to count points and calories. Good luck.

Nancy J said...

Good morning, ANON 12:22am.

Thank you for reading the blog, especially so late at night. Please note that while I appreciate your views and BOY am I am not looking forward to tracking points, but I realize that the Weight Watcher weekly meetings and the program is what I need to regain focus, structure and routine.

Please note the following part of the post:
"I rejoined Weight Watchers to help me retrain my brain on the healthy way to incorporate all three facets: better food selection, smaller portion sizes, and fun exercise into my 2011 weight loss journey."

Exercise is part of the program. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on joining WW again. If you do stick to the program and make healthy lifestyle changes, it works. I know it is working for me. I was encouraged to hear you mentioned Ty's name. I'm currently in an at work WW program and Ty is my leader as well. She does a good job of keeping me motivated, as does the rest of the group. Keep up the good work!!

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,

Weight Watchers certainly works but like you, I hated counting points as simple as it was. Have you ever heard of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA).If not look up FA.org. It really works

BB said...

Ty was my leader too at a WW at Work program 2 years ago. I did great until I switched jobs and had to leave the program. I wish I had stuck with it, the weight definitely has crept back up. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

L-O-V-E WW! It rocks! To Anon 12:22 ~ my guess is that weight has never been an issue for you. Counting points and exercising (as recommended by WW) is a small price to pay for getting healthy and being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle. WW teaches awareness of what you eat and how much you eat. It is more difficult for some and if WW helps make a healthy lifestyle possible for some of us then so be it. Unlike alcohol for alcoholics, we need food to live. I have lost 23 lbs in 10 weeks with WW and plan to attend WW for the rest of my life!!

MFS said...

So glad you joined WW! It works...really. Not fast, not as a fad, not because if some chemical balance but simply by helping with portion control. To be sure it really works you must invest in an electronic food scale. You'll be shocked - or maybe not given our super sized world - how small a medium or large potato really is. The separately sold Russets you get at the grocery store are XXLs and have many more points than you could ever guess. You'll cry the first time you see how much 1 oz of pasta is. (Don't worry, eventually that 1 oz of pasta in a bowl also filled with veggies and sprinkled with a heap of grated parm will feel like heaven!) I lost 52 lbs using WW with daily exercise as part of the success. Now I rarely have to count points because you learn how to live not learn how to diet on WW. Good luck and buy the food scale!