Monday, March 7, 2011

Exercise, no matter the ouch



I can fly! Oops. No I can't. Ouch! Treading air is harder than it looks. I'm about to go outside and try a 6.5 mile walk this Monday morning. The morning after falling down the stairs in our house. After being laid off from my job, my wife and I were clearing out my office up in the upstairs bonus room. I was trying to carry about the millionth load of stuff down the stairs when all of a sudden the last step wasn't the last step. For a moment I was treading air with arms full of junk I shouldn't have been trying to carry. I fell into the laundry room floor. Head into door. Elbows into floor. Right knee into floor. Ribs into a portable drill that I broke (the drill, not my ribs). I'm bruised and sore but seem to be intact. How stupid can a person be? My life didn't flash before my eyes while falling that cumbersome two feet. However, one of the first things in my mind was "will I be able to exercise tomorrow?" I'm about to find out. I think I lucked out this time. I'm kind of proud though that my thoughts went to being able to exercise as one of my first concerns. Maybe the importance of this effort has become part of my inner being after all.

I'm also made aware of how fortunate I am at age 59 to be able to do my workouts. Not everyone is so blessed.

To my fellow overweight buddies out there trying to get into a habit of exercise I say: "Get up and get out there and do it!" Just don't be stupid about it.

4 comments:

Pete from Pineville said...

Ouch. Something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I was home alone. I was taking out the trash, at night, and hit the air when I thought I was still on the deck landing. It was a full frontal crash to the brick walkway. Luckily the bag of trash cushioned the fall a little. But I also laid there and took a minute to make a personal inventory of all bones and joints. Right elbow and knee were banged up, but I was otherwise okay. But after all those years of making fun of the, "I've fallen and can't get up," commercials, I realized it can happen in a flash.

Keep up the good work and positive attitude.

Anonymous said...

This failure blog is annoying. Why not get some people that actually want to get fit and not do some blogger type biggest loser. The few blog posts I've read lead me to believe this is nothing more than a narcissistic travesty.

Mike Cramerton said...

That's a great idea Annoyingmoose 7:06 PM. Tell us when you begin and provide a link to your blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're okay! And I presume you made it through the 6.5 mile walk? Keep it up!