Thursday, March 31, 2011

Today's rain not stopping me


It's Wednesday morning as I write this blog entry. Its cold, raining and the sound of thunder rumbles and shakes the house. My yard is like a swamp from all the rain we've had recently and the streets are like shallow streams. I'm stiff, cranky and have a dull headache this morning. Walk? Jog? What? Are you crazy?

Years ago when I was a marathon runner I would oftentimes feel like there was no way a run would work on a particular day. Just too stiff and tired or hurried feeling. Generally, however, once I got the first mile done I'd start to loosen up and feel better about the effort. By the end of a run I'd wonder how I could have ever "not" done the run. It felt so good by the end of the effort.

So, remembering those days I went out onto my screened back porch this dreary day to exercise. I start with turning on some kick butt country music on my outdoor radio. Now that the mood is set, it's 30 minutes on the exercise bike. By the end of that I'm sweating and warmed up and feeling much better. The weights and push ups, etc., all fall into place now and my headache is gone.

We all have those days were we don't feel like exercising. But if we just ease into the routine and give it a few minutes, we'll normally feel better and be very glad we didn't skip that chance to burn some calories. So get out there my overweight buddies and walk, jog, go to the gym or bike. Just don't ever give up or give in. "You" are worth the effort.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Great blog Dan!! Keep up the good work. Exercise makes me feel too good to stop doing it these days. Hope you and the rest of the bloggers feel the same way soon!! :)

Anonymous said...

We can find an excuse every day of the week not to exercise if we want to. Great job for pushing through!

MFS said...

So true, so true. Has there ever been a day that I have worked out when I didn't want to that was satisfying as a day I did? Nope. Great blog and great reminder. There are a bunch of folks who will workout today that wouldn't gave had they not read this...maybe even me!!!

Amy said...

The hardest part of a workout is starting the workout...at least for me! Everytime I finish my goal I'm proud of myself and I feel great. Good job and I'm very proud of you Dad:)

Anonymous said...

I used to not like bad weather days because I was a one trick pony and bad weather blew up all plans. But, I took up a few other sports so now there is never any reason at all to miss a day. Worst case scenario is 60 minutes running on the treadmill, a fate worse than death.